The Sulphur Springs News-Telegram is the leading news source for Sulphur Springs and Hopkins County, Texas. The newspaper is owned by Southern Newspapers Inc.
Deed records indicate that a newspaper was being published in Hopkins County as early as 1854. It was known at the "Texas Star and was located in Tarrant, which then served as the county seat. In 1855, the printing presses were purchased by William Wortham, who moved the equipment to Bright Star (later Sulphur Springs) and founded a paper he called the Independent Frontier. In 1864, Wortham renamed it the Sulphur Springs Gazette and retained ownership until 1898.
The Echo was founded by Ezra Tate in 1878 as a competitor to the Gazette. During its 39-year ownership by the Tate family, the Echo acquired two other local publications, the Evening News and the Morning Telegram. The Tate family merged these newspapers into the Daily News-Telegram while maintaining the weekly Echo.